Skip to main content

applying deep work

When I was 35, I took my first position as a professional writer, creating manuals for a company that built secure servers. The new job meant moving from my hometown to Atlanta. As a going-away present, my brother bought me a book called, "A Writer's Time," by Hollywood agent and script merchant Ken Atchity.

In that book, Atchity espouses the philosophy that talent, by itself, won't get you anywhere. He suggests that you need perseverance, as well as connections and an ability to get along with people, but his main point is this: Discipline is the core of success as a writer. No matter how much talent you have, if you don't apply it, daily, you won't see your face in the bookstore window unless the sun is behind you.

An Expanding Thread

In the twenty years since I first read his book, the digital revolution happened. We went from index cards -- which Atchity still recommends -- to e-mail, to soundbites, to Vine-covered social media. Recently, a Georgetown professor named Cal Newport has expanded on this idea of discipline. Been following him for a while, and I like some of his thoughts.

My favorite is his concept of "deep work."  He published a book by that title in January, although he's been talking about the concept for a couple of years in his blog. Read a sample last night, and I'm buying the book this weekend, when there's time to read it.

Each of us internalizes messages differently, based on our temperament and experience. My evolving understanding sort of bridges the gap between these two authors. While Newport describes the active creative process, Atchity puts the whole thing in context. Here's the new understanding I'm starting to pick up.

A Man of Three Minds

I have found a lot of resonance in Atchity's model of how our minds work. He suggests we start out with two minds: the logical, rational mind which he calls "the continent," and the free-flowing, creative mind, described like a series of volcanic islands that sort of come and go spontaneously. If you let either one rule your life, you won't make progress. The trick is to develop a third mind, a "managing editor" that mediates between the two extremes. There's a lot more to this idea, but these are the essentials for me.

And I can identify with what he's saying. I do have these impulsive, floating elements to my thinking, and I also have this authoritarian voice that pushes me around sometimes. My own managing editor has been too weak for too long, but that's another blog entry for another time.

Based on reading Newport's work, I think I've come to agree that, lately, we've become a world without a managing editor. We let our islands rule, and then we kick in the continent when we get stuck or broke. Have a passion? Folow it. Have a different passion next week? Change directions. Get an e-mail? Stop and surf where it leads you. Having trouble paying the bills, but Mom and Dad won't let you move back in? Get serious about a real job for a while, but only just enough to keep the lights on.

Discipline is Hard

Jesus may have already told us this, way back in the day, when he said, "No man can serve two masters."  Yet that same Bible reminds us that, "...in a multitude of counselors there is safety." In other words, we need both parts of our mind to work at full throttle, at the same time, in order to get to excellent work. That means mediating, which implies a managing editor. No way around it.

It also means that we can't cater to either logic or creativity when we work. This is physically difficult to do, and hard to sustain for more than a few hours at a stretch. Our artistic side wants to drop a "happy little tree" right over there, and then move on to checking e-mail, and from there surfing the news. By contrast, our linear brain prefers to just keep drawing grid lines until we filled up all the paper we have handy. Neither approach works.

Yes, we've kinda become a society that takes a shallow cut at everything. Which means, as Newport points out, there's a real opportunity for someone willing to go deep, to develop the discipline, to grow and train their managing editor, borrowing Atchity's concepts.

What About Sewing?

So what about sewing? How am I going to apply any of this to my hobby, passion, and calling? 

Well, first I have to document how I got here. I came to sewing because I just couldn't find an Every Day Carry (EDC) backpack that I like. The perfect backpack, in turn, stems from wanting to have everything I need with me most of the time, with each item readily accessible without digging. Carrying my life, in its own turn, was my response to a very messy, scattered childhood -- a response that actually worked well, got me high marks with lots of scholarships, trophies, and respect.

In other words, just like Newport explains, my passion followed my skills, which were borne out of the utter confusion of growing up with a terminally-ill sibling being treated once a week at a hospital four hours away. You can imagine the chaos, the scattered stuff, the constantly getting to St. Jude in Memphis and forgetting something and needing to go buy, beg, or borrow. I didn't have a passion for organization, I just had to make some kind of rational, palliative response to my parents constantly being a day late and a dollar short for everything, which turned out to be good organization. Likewise personal comfort, but that's -- again -- another blog.

Needing to Get Good

Now I've reached the point in my sewing where I need to get really good. I can't get to the bag I want, because I just don't have the correct equipment, skills or experience. My technique still feels nearly newbie in a lot of ways. 

But here's the weird part: People are buying my bags out from under me. What I consider just "thrown together" as a "frustrating stopgap" until I get what I want? People are offering me serious money on the street for them. More than once, I've dumped my stuff into the nearest plastic grocery bag and come home looking like a homeless person (something I never ever wanted to do), but $100 richer. Or $50. Or $150. 

Here's the point: My standards, driven by a need to fix the past, have pushed me beyond nominal quality already, but I'm not satisfied. I already know that I need some deep, serious work practicing seams, and learning how to put in webbing, and adding waterproof zippers, and getting the equipment to be able to sew six layers of Cordura. In short, I need to go to school, but there's no teacher around, so I'm going to have to teach myself.

Maybe This Will Help Explain

Maybe the foregoing will help explain what I'll be doing over the next few months. I'll be posting regularly, but it won't all be finished work; I'm working toward something specific that I'll only know when I see it. And probably toward a freelance career. After all, if I can get $150 for something that doesn't even begin to meet my standards, certainly I can command $500 or even $1000 for a bag that I'd be proud to display. Especially if I add in some interesting electronics that are designed to be included in fabric constructs. 

Keep watching this space. And buy some books from the two guys mentioned above. They're both worth reading at least once in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Vacation

I took the summer off. Not sure exactly why, except that I couldn't find the perfect gusset. That might be the strangest summer vacation story I ever heard, and I haven't even told it yet. But bear with me. In case you didn't know, the gusset is the strip of material that gives a bag width. See Google for more on this. Making a really nice bag means sewing around the curve in three dimensions. That's hard to do, so most videos today demonstrate box corners, which make the bag round with a kind of rectangular bottom. Box corners are weird to me for several reasons. First, you get these floating, short seams at the bottom. Second, these short seams are hard to sew straight and even, so they often look seriously homemade. Third, the top and bottom of the bag aren't the same shape, so there's some difference in how the bag feels – and carries – from bottom to top. But mainly, I don't like it because it feels like a cheat. I know some people like these ki

run fast, run deep

If you're not in a hurry, craft work can be deeply rewarding. In one sense, there's the reward of praise and artistic respect which comes when you concentrate on high quality and unique, interesting design. There's also a sense of satisfaction in the work. After all, when it's done right, crafting is difficult, painstaking work. And there's the mental growth that comes from the hard, sustained thinking that goes into the finished result. Focused thinking is usually associated with knowledge work. Craft work, being both spatial and creative, tends to meander. There are many people who take sewing down that wandering path, but it doesn't have to go there. Done well, crafting -- especially sewing -- can be as taxing as engineering, especially since they share some common principles (think analytical topology, for example). Time, Cost, Quality: Choose Any Two From project management, I've learned that time, cost, and quality are the three-legged stool

not goals

Sometimes, when you get sleepy early, it isn't because you're really tired, but because your brain needs the bandwidth to figure something out.  Last night was one of those nights. Yesterday, I was contemplating the difference between modern achievement theory and modern medicine. It wasn't an odd thing, because in my day job, I am in medicine, work for a medical services company, and maintain an internal wiki to educate people who support caregivers. This morning at 2:30 AM, I woke up with a couple of epiphanies; thought I might share them here. Goals are Broken When trying to achieve things, we set goals; then we measure deficiencies and set deadlines for changing those deficiencies into adequacies. If I make it sound dull and unexciting, that's because it is. It's a lot of work, and 100% of the time, when we're working toward goals, we are inadequate by our own measures. One modern not-a-guru describes it this way: "A plane is off course 100% of the time